For the safety and comfort of your pet, please observe the following guidelines prior to surgery.
1. You must have an appointment. Please contact our clinic by phone at (313) 451-8200 or use our online form for scheduling.
2. Puppies and kittens must weigh at least 2 pounds and be at least 8 weeks old. Younger or lighter animals will be declined, for their safety.
3. We highly recommend that you have your pet vaccinated (distemper for cats and dogs, and bordetella for dogs) at least two weeks prior to your appointment. If this is not possible, vaccinations can be administered at the time of surgery for an additional charge. Since it can take up to two weeks for your pet to build up immunity, please be aware that the vaccines administered at the time of surgery will not protect your pet from diseases they may potentially come in contact with while at the clinic. The PAWS Clinic requires that all dogs and cats 12 weeks and older have a rabies vaccine. If your pet is current on its rabies vaccine, please bring proof of this with you. If your pet is not current or you do not have proof, you will be required to purchase a rabies vaccine at the time of surgery for dogs and cats 12 weeks and older for an additional $14.
4. Adult animals should not have food after 12:00am the night before surgery but may have water. Puppies and kittens 4 months or younger may have food and water until 6:00am the morning of surgery. In order to ensure that they have not eaten, pets must be kept indoors or confined the night before surgery. Any animal that remained outside all night without being confined will not be admitted.
5. Check-in time is at 8:00am. Your pet will not be admitted before 8:00am as our staff will be releasing the animals from the previous day. If you arrive after 8:30am we may not be able to admit your pet for surgery and will ask you to reschedule.
6. All dogs must be on a leash and all cats must be in an individual cat carrier. If you do not have a carrier for your cat, you will be required to buy a cardboard carrier for $5.00. Feral cats must be in a secure live trap, one cat per trap. For the safety of the cat and our staff, we are not able to perform surgery on feral cats that do not come in live traps. Please see Feral Cat Surgery for more information on feral cats.
7. You must complete the necessary admission forms when you arrive. You may stop by the clinic prior to your pet’s scheduled surgery day and pick up the paperwork to save time the morning of your appointment.
8. Please inform us if your animal has any prior medical conditions, or has taken any medication or received any injections in the two weeks prior to surgery. We will not accept animals exhibiting signs of Upper Respiratory Infection (runny eyes or nose or coughing), or other illnesses. The PAWS Clinic reserves the right to refuse surgery if a health risk to the animal is determined.
9. For the safety of senior or larger pets, we require pre-surgical blood work to be run at a full-service veterinary clinic within 30 days prior to scheduled surgery for the following animals:
- Any pet over 8 years old
- Any dog that is 100 pounds or over and 5 years or older
- Any dog of the following giant purebred dogs 5 years or older
– Great Dane
– Mastiff (all types)
– Great Pyrenees
– St. Bernard
– Bernese Mountain Dog
– Cane Corso
– Dogue de Bordeaux
– Black Russian Terrier
– Irish Wolfhound
– Scottish Deerhound
10. Please keep your pet in your car until you have completed all of the required paperwork. A staff member will advise you when to retrieve your pet. Please ensure that your car is kept at a comfortable temperature while your animal is waiting.
11. Cats scheduled for surgery Monday through Wednesday are held overnight and released the following morning at 7:30am. Cats scheduled for surgery on Thursdays are held overnight and released on Friday morning at 9:00am. Dogs are released the day of surgery at 4:00pm. We regret that we are not able to accommodate requests for alternative discharge times.
12. Payment is due at check-in. The PAWS Clinic accepts cash, credit cards other than American Express, and debit cards. Checks are not accepted.
PLEASE NOTE: A processing fee will be added to all credit and debit card transactions of $26 dollars or more
13. We do not have the facilities to board pets. If you are unable to pick up your animal at the designated time, please notify us as soon as possible. Animals not picked up at their designated pick-up time will be charged a late fee or a boarding fee. Animals not retrieved will be considered abandoned and will be surrendered to the local animal shelter.